Marine Corps Bases: Camp Gillespie – Gillespie Field
Carl | October 15, 2013
In 1942, the Marines also acquired land in El Cajon Valley for training parachute jumpers and named it Camp Gillespie in memory of Archibald M. Gillespie, a Marine captain who had participated in the United States seizure of San Diego from Mexico. The parachute training later was abandoned and the air field became designated Gillespie Field, which later became an auxiliary to the Marine Air Station at El Toro. The 256 foot high towers, used in conjunction with the training, were removed in 1954-55 after the couniy received title to the 700 acre field. The site, still known as Gillespie Field, now serves as a county airport.
Contributor's website: http://semperfiparents.com
Content posted by users from other sites is posted for commentary and news purposes under fair use and each author is responsible for their own postings and a particular posting should not be construed as being endorsed by this site or its owner.