Marine Corps History: Parris Island Established

Carl | October 15, 2012 

Marine Corps training is legendary, but the recruit training that exists today didn’t begin until 1911. Major General William P. Biddle, the 11th Commandant of the Marine Corps, formalized and intensified the training, raising the bar for what it takes to become a United States Marine.

In 1915, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, became the first base dedicated to the sole purpose of training. It has been in continuous use since then and is now one of only two bases where enlisted Marines are made.

As WWI broke out, 41,000 recruits trained at Parris Island, and the base has accommodated as many as 250,000 recruits during the Vietnam War. Parris Island began training female recruits in 1949.

All Marine Corps recruits east of the Mississippi and all female recruits are still trained and transformed at Parris Island today.

Marines.com



Contributor's website: http://semperfiparents.com



Content posted by users from other sites is posted for commentary and news purposes under fair use and each author is responsible for their own postings and a particular posting should not be construed as being endorsed by this site or its owner.
Please Note: The comments section is for both the registered users of this web site as well as non-registered users. All wishing to post comments must comply with our Commenting Rules or risk having their comments stricken. Comments do not necessarily reflect the views of the ownership of this site and should not be taken as such just because they are visible and posted here.

Leave a Reply





  • American Conservative Daily is owned and operated by J.J. Jackson, President of Land of the Free Studios, Inc.