ABC News Bans Flag Lapel Pins

Carolyn Hileman - The Voice | June 24, 2008

Yesterday, the brass at ABC News issued orders forbidding reporters to wear lapel pin American flags or other patriotic insignia. Their reasoning was that ABC should remain neutral about “causes”.
Since when is support for preventing our death & destruction some sort of a “cause”? Since when is patriotism to be discouraged. I urge you to boycott ABC and its sponsors and affiliates.
We’re slowly losing everything our country stands for, and everything our men and women fought and died to preserve.
Please forward this to as many as you can. You can verify it by going to:

Contributor's website: http://thevoice.name
Filed Under The Voice

Content posted by users from other sites is posted for commentary and news purposes under fair use and each author is responsible for their own postings and a particular posting should not be construed as being endorsed by this site or its owner.
Please Note: The comments section is for both the registered users of this web site as well as non-registered users. All wishing to post comments must comply with our Commenting Rules or risk having their comments stricken. Comments do not necessarily reflect the views of the ownership of this site and should not be taken as such just because they are visible and posted here.

17 Responses to “ABC News Bans Flag Lapel Pins”

1. Fred Samuelson on June 25th, 2008 1:21 pm

In my opinion we should boycott ABC for not allowing personnel to express their patrotism by wearing a lapel pin. I do not know how or where it started, but our country is going to hell in the proverbial hand basket. Only a few city and states are doing something about the illegal immigrants and employment of same. Even our language is changing – you can not go anywhere that people are not speaking Spanish instead of English. Teddy Roosevelt held a position on Immigration – “We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminte against any such man because of creed, or birthpale, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … there can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have roopm for but one flag – the American flag … We have room for but one laguage here, and that is the Enlish language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people”.
    Read it and Support it.

2. LibertarianPrince (Moderator) on June 25th, 2008 5:50 pm

Too bad old Teddy had a big fascist streak in him. Not a man I would like to quote even if he is right.

3. Donna Loyd on June 27th, 2008 7:15 am

Banning of wearing a symbol of loyalty to this nation should not come as a surprise. The nation’s pledge has been slowly, but steadily, disassembled. First, the pledge was removed from schools; then battles to remove “under God.” Take just one small step backwards – literally and metaphorically speaking – and you bump into “one nation.” While the phrase “indivisible” has not been openly removed, this new prohibition accomplishes just that – DIVISION. Apparently, love of God and country has become disdainful. Support of this nation should be everyone’s “CAUSE” – including those who came HERE for the freedom and liberty — the better life — the very thing our flag represents. To ban anyone from openly expressly their love for this country goes beyond unconstitutional. It defies all logic and reason. If we are no longer allowed to openly express devotion to our homeland – what’s next? I shutter to think of what this nation will be like for my grandchildren in 20 years. This ban is not only foolishness, it is heartbreaking.

4. Doug DeVitt on July 3rd, 2008 9:47 pm

ABC stands for the American Broadcast Company.

Since when did the American flag express a better cause. It stands for the very freedoms that lets ABC have freedom of speech. These politically correct police ought to go to Washington and tack their memo on the Lincoln of Jefferson Memorials. I pray that any of our fore fathers did not die in vain protecting un-grateful idiots.

Happy Fourth. I mean it.

Moderator’s Note: Please do not spam the site just because you didn’t spell a couple words correctly or say something exactly like you wanted to.

5. Toby Bridges on July 8th, 2008 10:08 am

It’s all about freedom of choice. Or, in this case, the loss of that freedom – whether one wants to show some patriotism by wearing an “American” symbol, such as a U.S. flag lapel pin – Or Not!

Can anyone tell me the real difference between ABC’s idiotic all out ban of showing a bit of true American spirit thru something as insignificant as wearing a tiny flag on one’s lapel…THAN if NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX, or any other network, would mandate that EVERY reporter wore a flag lapel pin?

Talk about some hell raising. If that were to happen the feces would really hit the rotating oscillator!

So, were’s the uproar? Why aren’t red blooded Americans headed en masse to ABC’s corporate headquarters with cauldrons of hot tar and huge bags of feathers? Why aren’t Americans so outraged that decision makers at ABC would suddenly find themselves out on the streets, looking for a new job?

It’s because there aren’t many true Americans left in this country. We’ve become a country of mixed foriegners…who really don’t give a damn about the good ol’ Stars n’ Stripes. That flag means little to them.

Heck, Obama won’t even place his hand over his heart to Pledge Allegiance to the flag – and he wants to run the Nation For Which It Stands.

In the not so distant future, I wouldn’t be surprised if ‘ABC’ stood for the Arabic Broadcasting Company!

Missoula, MT

6. ricky on July 8th, 2008 3:23 pm

Just because it is on snopes.com doesn’t mean that it’s true… i’ve seen lots of other items like this on snopes.com only to find that it is incorrect. Just because it’s on the internet does not make it true…

7. LibertarianPrince (Moderator) on July 8th, 2008 5:24 pm

So your rebuttal to this ricky is basically to say “NUH-UH!”

Wow – your powers of debate are awesome!

8. H L Leonard on July 13th, 2008 7:59 pm

Perhaps the best way to handle this would be to have everyone who reads this post just mail ABC one of the famous lapel pins they ban.
    I’ll bet that thousands of them mailed in would be hard to ignore.

I’m sending the one I have off in the mail tomorrow.

HL

Maybe we can get Rush and Sean along with some of the others to post their comments as well.
    ABC TV that “Always Beams Crap”

9. H L Leonard on July 13th, 2008 8:01 pm

A little more research will get him the answer. Snopes isn’t always right but in this case they are.

Gone!

10. Anne on July 14th, 2008 11:24 am

Did anyone actually read the article at Snopes? It happened in 2001, NOT in 2008. It was a reaction to the 9/11 attacks and the reporting afterward when no one knew yet who had done it and why. ABC had done this not only to try and maintain neutrality at a point when we really didn’t know who’d done it, but also to protect their journalists around the world. A lapel pin could make the difference between living and being beheaded.

If I were the head of ABC, I don’t know that I would have banned the use of the pins, per se… I might had strongly suggested they not use them if they were in a foreign country, if they wanted to get out alive. But I do understand the decision.

11. LibertarianPrince (Moderator) on July 14th, 2008 5:26 pm

Yes, we know it is an older piece of information. Carolyn has a habit of posting things that are true but out of date.

As to the “they did it to be neutral” argument, that is hollow. Journalists are not supposed to be neutral – they are supposed to be truthful. Very rarely can you be both because often time one side is not right.

12. PinguMama (Sr. Moderator) on July 14th, 2008 5:33 pm

Anne on July 14th, 2008 11:24 am

“Did anyone actually read the article at Snopes? It happened in 2001, NOT in 2008. It was a reaction to the 9/11 attacks and the reporting afterward when no one knew yet who had done it and why.”

Point of clarification on this. We actually knew within a few hours exactly who did it and why. We had the sneaking suspicion within minutes … or at least those of us that know our history did.

In defense of Carolyn it should be noted that the listing at Snopes was updated on April 7th of this year to provide new information it seems which would explain why it was posted.

Carolyn often confuses people because she does not put things that should be in quotes (or blockquotes) in either thus making it seem like something she wrote but always providing the link.

13. Marie Anne on July 22nd, 2008 4:57 pm

I just learned of this today and wrote an article on this same subject, which can be viewed at the website listed.

I served my country more than 21 years, retiring from the Marine Corps as a MSgt. This makes me sick.

14. Rosetta Womack on August 16th, 2008 1:19 pm

I think that it is absurd that the USA ABC network would forbid wearing American Flag lapel pins when they enjoy the freadom that our soulders are fighting for.How awful can that be? I do not plan on watching ABC net work.

Rosetta Womack

15. Frank Terry on September 8th, 2008 8:27 pm

I’m the son of a vet, a vet, and the father of a vet. Banning the flag lapel pins is not only a slam against our country, flag and veterans; it is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Whether it was in 2001 or 2008, the result is the same. I’ve blocked ABC from my cable box, so we don’t accidentally tune it. And I notified ABC of my action.

16. D and M on December 17th, 2010 12:02 pm

I do not watch ABC at all. Or NBC for that matter. Rarely CBS. D and M

Plus, I do not care when this came about, 2008 or 2010 or 2001. We watch cable or read.

I do not want to be even remotely have anything to do with anyone or anything that thinks the American Flag pin is somehow “politically incorrect.”

17. Metcalf on August 26th, 2011 7:46 pm

I served and was hurt in Vietnam, and low lifes
    say they don’t want to show the colors. Send them where thier not allowed to show anything at all.
    I think these big wheels are total jerks.