Political Fallout Over Sebelius’ Remark About Guard?

J.J. Jackson | May 10, 2007

There are rumblings that Kansas Governor Sebelius’ remarks about how recovery efforts post the massive tornado that destroyed Greensburg were coerced by Howard Dean and the upper levels of the Democratic Party and were in direct contradiction to the facts.

Several readers this morning have already commented to me that Jim Quinn, political talk show host based here in Pittsburgh from 104.7 WPGB, has cited a source with authority on the subject that Howard Dean personally called the Governor to set the wheels in motion for her to claim that efforts were being hampered by lack of equipment due to the war in Iraq.

The story is plausible because both Senator Sam Brownback and the White House have issued conflicting stories where, after contacting officials in the state, they were told there were plenty of resources for the recovery effort.
The source claims that Sebeliuss called Senator Brownback to express her regret over the remarks and reassure him that they were not her own feelings but that rather those of the Democratic leadership.

This is developing and so far has not been confirmed.  Stay tuned.  I have contacted both the Senator and the Governor for comment but have not recieved any.

Contributor's website: http://www.libertyreborn.com

Content posted by users from other sites is posted for commentary and news purposes under fair use and each author is responsible for their own postings and a particular posting should not be construed as being endorsed by this site or its owner.
Please Note: The comments section is for both the registered users of this web site as well as non-registered users. All wishing to post comments must comply with our Commenting Rules or risk having their comments stricken. Comments do not necessarily reflect the views of the ownership of this site and should not be taken as such just because they are visible and posted here.

23 Responses to “Political Fallout Over Sebelius’ Remark About Guard?”

1. PinguMama on May 10th, 2007 5:27 pm

Any update on this?

2. Andrew Bryant on May 10th, 2007 6:25 pm

I was listening to the Quinn & Rose show this morning on XM radio when Jim Quinn told his audience that Howard Dean called Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius early, around 5 am, one morning after the tornado had destroyed the town of Greensburg, Kansas and discussed with her what to say about the tornado and how to blame the war in Iraq and the Bush administration on a slow response to the aftermath.

He also said that she, Gov. Sebelius, called Senator Sam Brownback’s office only to learn he wasn’t there but then called him on his cell phone and reached him while he was in his car were she confessed to him that she had been instructed by her party leadership, (more specifically, Howard Dean) on how to politicize the tornado’s destruction of Greensburg and attack the White House and the Iraq war for a seemingly slow response. She reassured the Senator that her allegations didn’t blame him or Pat Roberts, also a Kansas Senator, for the lack of immediate response.

That would explain her public statements to the press that proved later to be untrue. She made statements to the effect that the Iraq war and the deployment of the national guard units to Iraq from her state has left Kansas without the equipment and man power needed to respond more quickly to the tornado’s aftermath. This all turns out to be false and the governor herself has back tracked on her own claims.

Mr. Quinn also revealed that she confessed to Brownback that she couldn’t pass up such an opportunity like this to attack the President whose approval ratings, in this hostile political climate, is so low.

These revelations are startling and if true should call into question the governors competence and her judgment. Quinn adamantly stressed that his source was extremely reliable and in a position that would give him direct knowledge of these revelations.

3. J.J. Jackson on May 10th, 2007 6:26 pm

All I can say is that there has been no official response given to me about these claims. Although I did mysteriously get disconneted when I asked the question after finally getting through to the governor’s office … but don’t read too much into that as I believe I was in a bad cell just at that instant.

4. RonniesRayGun on May 10th, 2007 6:30 pm

I’ve got a few well placed sources in the state looking into this personally because this news didn’t sit well with them either. They may not be able to confirm it but they may be able to add to the level of probability or non-probability.

5. Lt. Krammer on May 11th, 2007 6:33 am

FYI apparently Brownback chickened out of the Sean Hannity show yesterday when given an opportunity to respond.

6. RonniesRayGun on May 11th, 2007 5:47 pm

After consulting with two sources I have who might be able to shed some light on this issue, one has decided that he will no longer comment on this (when I asked about what he had discovered he simply refused to answer) and the other said that she is also certain that a phone call took place but that it was not possible for her to confirm what the discussion was about or when it was

So barring an actual tape of the conversation or a flat out admission by one of the parties alleged to be involved it looks like all we are going to have is a he said, she said issue here.

7. PinguMama on May 11th, 2007 8:10 pm

Remember however Ron, for the left to be honest it’s never been about the evidence behind the charge it’s always been about the seriousness of the charge. Just like how they are still railing on the fired U.S. Attorneys again.

Aside from that, you have any luck yet Jeff?

8. J.J. Jackson on May 11th, 2007 8:16 pm

Not on my end Pingu, but Brian over at HotAir says he has recieved copies of C&D letters the DNC has sent:

Flat denials from the DNC, Gov Sebelius and Brownback

Brian also makes a very good observation:

“That’s about as flat a denial as one can get, though it’s interesting that they would resort to C&D notices to combat this story and characterize it as “libelous” and “slanderous” and “interfering with the DNC’s operations and ability to solicit support and raise funds.” The Democrats as a party have been libeling and slandering President Bush with impunity for years. Perhaps the RNC should start slapping them with C&Ds.”

9. PinguMama on May 11th, 2007 8:23 pm

ROFL! Cease and Decist orders?

Ok, so when is President Bush going to issue a C&D order to the Defeatocrats about their lying about why we went to war in Iraq, Michael Moore for slandering the President in his piece of crap documentary, etc.

If they want to dance … WE SHOULD DANCE!

10. RedTornado on May 11th, 2007 8:24 pm

Jeff, since I think you were one of the first people to post this on a “blog” like this have the Dummycrats sent anything to you yet?

11. J.J. Jackson on May 11th, 2007 8:27 pm

Not yet Red :D

But it wouldn’t matter if they did. What they are basically doing is threatening people for doing what? Reporting news and rumors and basically having an opinion? What are they going to do? Threaten to sue me for reporting what readers asked me about and I confrimed was true (i.e. that Quinn made this claim)?

Let them. I’ll see them in court and have a lot of money in my pockets when I leave the courthouse too.

12. Sgt. Shammy on May 11th, 2007 8:32 pm

Which is a little odd. How long does it take to say “no” unless you are trying to figure out how to word the response so as to be non-committal? And then to go over the top? That’s odd …

Hey can we issue a C&D against the Democrats for their fishing expedition on the US Attorney flap? Basically they are doing the same thing and “defaming” someone without evidence right?

If I read this right, the DNC is basically saying that you cannot use “sources” any more. So I guess we’ll stop seeing all those mysterious “unnammed sources” in new reports now.

13. OTHERBITS on May 11th, 2007 8:39 pm

Ha! Looks like your just another neo-con that is out there spreading lies about democrats to try and win elections.

14. J.J. Jackson on May 11th, 2007 8:45 pm

Hey otherbits, I know English is probably your third language. So I’m use small words for you. Just remember that I emphasized that this was only a “rumor”. I offered no other commentary on it other that reporting what was claimed and said that I was seeking comment.

To Sgt:

Let’s get the C&D machine fired up and shoot one off to Rosie while we’re at it :D

15. RonniesRayGun on May 11th, 2007 8:54 pm

Ah yes, as long as their are “otherbits” out there there will be misconceptions.

But anyway I read a copy of the letter over at FreeRepublic. It is signed by Mr. Sandler who, if I am not mistaken, is the same attack dog the DNC sent after the Swift Boat Vets and slandered the hell out of them.

16. RedTornado on May 11th, 2007 8:57 pm

Listen, Quinn is too smart to put himself in legal jeopardy … remember he already got railroaded through the courts once before for comments as a discjockey. So I cannot believe that he would throw away a career that is finally taking off with syndication.

What I find odd is that they sent the letter to XM. Shouldn’t they have sent it to Clear Channel since that is his employer? Could it be that they are just trying to intimidate people that are a little further out of the loop and maybe not have as close of contact to him?

17. J.J. Jackson on May 11th, 2007 9:02 pm

They may have sent a letter to CC Red, all we know right now is that FR and XM have gotten them. And you are right Ron, this is the same “attack dog” that went after the Vets and said every nasty and unsubstantiated thing you could think of about them.

The ultimate fact here however is that the burden of proof for the DNC to be able to justify it’s claims would be so high that even an amature lawyer could defend against it.

What are they going to do? Prove that a phone call never happened and words were never spoken by producing records that don’t exist? That’s going to be some mighty fine work!

18. RonniesRayGun on May 12th, 2007 9:29 am

Red Said: “What I find odd is that they sent the letter to XM. Shouldn’t they have sent it to Clear Channel since that is his employer?”

Apparently XM agrees with you:”An XM spokesman told RAW STORY Friday afternoon that it did not produce the Quinn & Rose Show and said XM would not be the proper company at whom to direct complaints about the show.” Raw Story

What this tells me is that the Democrats did what they always do; look before they leap. It doesn’t take a rocket scientists OR a lawyer with half a brain to know that XM is not the proper person to send this letter to.

19. Lt. Krammer on May 12th, 2007 11:44 am

Like Red said, sounds to me like they are going after the people on the perimeter because they know they can’t go after Quinn.

20. GoroftheFuture on May 12th, 2007 12:43 pm

I think the fact that Quinn and Rose still have the claims on their own website says that if they got a C&D order, they are planning on ignoring this for the posturing it is.

21. Governor Sebelius Gets Upset Over Statements … But Not Hers : American Conservative Daily on May 12th, 2007 8:38 pm

[...] you know I have been following claims by Jim Quinn that Kansas Governor Sebelius made blatantly false statements about the state of the National Guard [...]

22. Power Line: DNC Cease and Decist Letters Are “Thuggery” : American Conservative Daily on May 14th, 2007 3:58 pm

[...] comments are similar to the sentiments expressed by myself and others posted in my original post on this topic and which was widely cited around the internet being one of the first posts made about [...]

23. dougfromupland on May 15th, 2007 5:14 pm

On May 14 I spoke with the media offices of the DNC and Gov. Sebelius and suggested that they release phone records of the time in question and regarding the applicable area code. That was followed with an email request. They are not going to do it. Why? They could immediately nail Quinn and Rose and extract an apology. Do you suppose the call really happened?